From choosing a beautiful designer dress, to picking a location for pictures is defiantly a night to remember. When you go to find the perfect prom dress your family and friends may help you choose the perfect color and shape. I don't know about you but I could never go dress shopping without my friends or my mom. I would be so lost! But choosing the perfect prom dress won't be the only decision that you will make the night of prom. Being in high school, I understand that there is constant peer pressure to drink and make other choices that aren't the best during and after prom. There is a lot of hidden dangers from drinking to being pressured into a sexual relationship. What can you do to not put your self in this kind of situation? Not go to prom? No way! You can go to prom and have a night to remember without the peer pressure! Here are just a few ways I found helpful to avoid peer pressure:
1. Make the decision before hand!
- When I was around 12 years old I made the decision that I would never drink alcohol or do drugs. It was easy to make this decision because at that time I never really felt pressured to because I was still in middle school. Because I made this decision early I have never hesitated to say no to drugs and alcohol.
2. Realize that your choice to drink and do drugs hurts others
- I think the most common way to hurt others by drinking is drinking and driving. On average, a drunk driver is 11 times more likely to crash and kill somebody than a sober driver. What if your brother, sister, mom, dad, or a friend was killed because somebody decided to drink at prom. How would you feel?
3. Think long-term
- There is no way drinking alcohol or doing drugs will instantly make you popular. I'm sorry but it's just not. There is no way putting yourself at risk with the law with some how help you now or in the long run. So why would you do it?? Your answer is probably, "to have a good time." In my opinion, if you need drugs or alcohol to have a good time you probably aren't very fun. If you get caught by the authorities think about how that could affect your future dreams. Your dream job or athletic scholarship could be at stake.
Just remember at prom you CAN and WILL have an amazing time! Just remember to make good choices!!
BRAVE Ambassadors run this Blog