Sometimes it is hard to know what is OK and what is not. Or we can point out what we need, but don't acknowledge the needs of our partner. Take a look at our list of rights and responsibilities. Let us know if you agree or have something to add.
Each Partner has the Right...
* To express their own feelings and opinions, whether or not their partner agrees.
* To be themselves.
* To make decisions about themselves for themselves and to have equal decision-making power in the relationship.
* To say ‘no’ to any physical act that makes them uncomfortable at any time.
* To refuse a date at any time.
* To make and maintain friendships with whomever they choose.
* To participate in activities without their partner.
* To control their own money and possessions.
* To live free from fear and abuse.
* To end the relationship when they desire.
Each Partner has the Responsibility...
* To treat their partner with respect, equality, and honesty.
* To encourage their partner’s dreams and individuality.
* To never humiliate or put down their partner.
* To respect their partner’s decisions- even if you don’t agree.
* To respect and understand that their partner has the right to say ‘no’ at any point and any time regardless of previous consent.
* To solve problems calmly and equally.
* To accept responsibility for their own actions.
* To be willing to apologize as well as accept apologies.
* To never pressure, control, or manipulate their partner.
* To never emotionally, sexually, or physically hurt their partner.
* To never threaten or harm their partner or themselves in a way to hurt or control their partner.